Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney
Experience:  28 Years In General Practice,
68197583

I have had calPERS term care insurance since i was 52. i am

Customer Question

I have had calPERS long term care insurance since i was 52. i am now 70.. i am disabled with a serious neck spinal stenosis which is compressing my spinal cord..I have been using my insurance 8 hours a day for 2 years to help me as i cannot walk and have minimal use of my arms and hands. calPERS now wants to reduce my benefits to 4 hours a day instead of 8.They think i am too independent...i am trying to be independent so i need less help and it is now like shooting myself in the foot! They say I am too independent! and dont need so much care. I will still have to use all 8 hours but with their reduction of benefits I will have to pay 4 hours myself which will cause me much financial distress. I will go broke!
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The insuranse I bought says unlimited lifetime benefits
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

We would need to look at your policy to the language that permits the insurance company, if any to reduce benefits. Do you have a copy if your policy?

If your policy does not permit the insurance company to reduce your benefits you can file a complaint online today with the California Department of Insurance at http://www.insurance.ca.gov/01-consumers/101-help/

Where in California are you located so I can provide information and links for local legal assistance in your area at low to no cost?

Are you online with me?

Please ignore the additional service request.

The attorneys on the site do not receive credit for their time and work if the customer does not rate them positively, If you were unhappy the service it would be my pleasure to ask for a refund on your behalf. Otherwise you show up as a customer that does not rate. Attorneys tend to avoid those customers in the future. Than you for your consideration.