CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

My van was stolen and then picked up by a towing company and

Customer Question

My van was stolen and then picked up by a towing company and impounded. The towing company will not release my van until I pay for towing and storage. The police told me I need to go to a District Magistrate to get my van back. It is my work van. How do I get it back without paying the huge amounts the towing company is claiming I have to pay them?
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: ok
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: PA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes the van was reported stolen and the police called me to tell me that they found it in the impound lot.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok Thank you

Dear Customer,

I am very sorry to learn of this situation. Unfortunately the tow company is entitled to collect its fee for towing and storage of your vehicle (remember, the responsible party for this loss are the thieves who actually took your van, not the tow company who provided a service by picking up the vehicle and holding it).

As long as the rates they are charging are "reasonable" (usually this rate is set by the City - you can check with the detective or officer that is assisting you with the auto theft claim), they are entitled to bill you for this.

For reimbursement you have 2 options:

1) contact your insurance carrier and file a claim for damage to the vehicle (if there is any loss to tools or other items in the van), plus the cost of towing and storage

2) file the claim in Magistrate's court (or with the Prosecutor's Office - depending on local practice) for reimbursement from the victim's restitution fund.