Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I signed a lease agreement on Friday 9/16/2016 for a new

Customer Question

I signed a lease agreement on Friday 9/16/2016 for a new car. In New York do I have 3 business days to cancel /???? and does it include Saturday & sunday ???
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: New York State
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I don't know I gave them a $500 dollar credit Card and I have 6 copy of a lease agreement
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

In New York do I have 3 business days to cancel /???? and does it include Saturday & sunday ??

.

Unfortunately the answer is no unless the contract specifically states that there is a right to cancel.. This is a common misconception that people have where they think that all contracts can be cancelled within 3 days. But this is not the case.

.

There are only a few contracts that can be cancelled as a matter of law... door to door home improvement contracts, gym memberships, and mortgage refinances..

.

But vehicle sales or leases are never able to be cancelled unless specifically stated in it. That is what dealers rely on....a customer come in, they hard sell them a vehicle and convince the customer that it is a once in a lifetime deal and then get them to sign..... Then they are legally bound. They don't ever include a right to cancel because they don't want the customer to leave, calm down, and then back out of the deal..

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience,even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks