Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

How can I deduct my $80,000 Loose on selling my property

Customer Question

How can I deduct my $80,000 Loose on selling my property that I bought 3 years ago in per pose of some extra income?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 months ago.

Good morning and thanks for using JUST ANSWER. Your loss is called a "capital loss". If you have other investment properties, including real estate, stocks and bonds that you have sold and you have a profit or gain those investments, the $80,000 loss can be deducted from those gains. Net capital losses (total capital losses minus totalcapital gains) can only be deducted up to a maximum of $3,000 in a given tax year. Therefore, if you have no capital gains to deduct the losses from, then at the rate of $3000 per year, it will take many, many years to write off the entire loss against your ordinary income.

I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my assistance here by clicking on 3, 4, or 5. There is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.