Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

I am in a lease agreement in a 3 story building. I am

Customer Question

I am in a lease agreement in a 3 story building. I am working downstairs and there is no wheelchair access. I have several clients who are in wheelchairs. I just started at this place of business and didn't realize that my clients can get to me. Am I still legally bound to my contract when there is no access to my business
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Oregon
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, I went to the owner and asked if I can break my lease since there is no wheelchair access to the downstairs. She says she is in compliance with ADA.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need to know if I can legally break my lease because there is no wheelchair access to the downstairs and only one fire exit instead of two.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Do I need to minimize for a response? :)
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

No. Generally, the landlord is only required to provide reasonable accommodations for the disabled people under the ADA, so as long as, the owner is in compliance with the ADA, the commercial tenant would be liable under the lease and cannot unilaterally end the lease earlier and it would be up to the commercial tenant to find a solution to such issue by either seeking a permission form the landlord to install a wheelchair ramp at the tenant's expense or to find another meeting place with customers who might be wheelchair bound.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 23 days ago.