Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I am handling the estate of my brother that passed away last

Customer Question

I am handling the estate of my brother that passed away last year and he was an retired American Lawyer that started a second family in Paraguay. I hired a local attorney to help me and recently have sent some big checks to the surviving spouse and children. I am being told now she cannot start a banking account there with these. Is there another country close to Paraguay that has more friendly banking with US?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I did not know they have states in Paraguay - Closest town is Villarricca
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not sure what that means? This is from a few of his investment accounts that I closed and had checks cut made out in her name.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just looking for the most practical way for the surviving spouse to set up banking in SA close to Paraguay that will take direct deposit for her Social Security and monthly annuity checks from the US. Paraguay is very unfriendly to US on Social Security and I am now finding out checks from the US
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Actually, the banking in South American countries is tough. However, some banks like BBVA have branches in Argentina, Chile, Columbia, the larger South American Countries and can be used. Also, setting up a trust in Panama is a fairly easy thing to do through services found on http://www.escapeartist.com , and once a trust is set up then the trust can form a bank account in Panama and you can deposit the checks in here name into the trust account.