Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

How many years am I liable for a credit card expense and how

Customer Question

How many years am I liable for a credit card expense and how long can they try and collect?
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can you tell me when was the last time you made a payment on the debt?

.

Have you been sued by the creditor with them getting a judgment against you?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This card was cancelled in 2002. I was never aware that there was any debt on it. I have been contacted by a collection agency.
Now, 14 years later they are trying to collect. My question : am I liable? Thank you.

Ok, thank you for that info. You are not liable for anything that old and the collector is violating the law if they are claiming that you are. The statute of limitations for a debt like this is 6 years from the time the last payment was due and missed.

.

So if they contact you again, you can tell them that they are violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, specifically the exact statute:
.
15 USC 1692e
(2) The false representation of --
(A) the legal status of the alleged debt
(B) any services rendered or compensation which may be lawfully received by any debt collector for the collection of a debt.

.

and that if they contact you again about this debt, you will sue them for the statutory $1,000 per contact as allowed by law..

.

That should send them scurrying back under their rock.

.

.

thanks