Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have been working with my girlfriend for over 18mos now.

Customer Question

I have been working with my girlfriend for over 18mos now. She gave me 2,000 to move to Hawaii and got me into her training program for free. She's a massage therapist and owns a school. Since I have been here I've done duties outside of my job description and I've been paying her cable bill since August whenever she gets upset she threatens to take the money I owe her out of my check. 1. There was no agreement to pay her back and 2. Can she take money she claims I owe her out of my check despite paying her bill and the free labor I accumulated?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Can she take money she claims I owe her out of my check despite paying her bill and the free labor I accumulated?

Response: No, she cannot do that. That would be illegal, an authorized deductions from your paycheck. She could get in trouble for that if you were to report her to your State's Department of Labor or U.S. Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Division.