Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I filed a small claims suit. One of the rules for small

Customer Question

I filed a small claims suit. One of the rules for small claims court is that we can not have an attorney. I just received the answer from the defendant and it is from an attorney. I dont understand what it is saying. Something it does mention is that the complaint is ambiguous...
I filed the suit online and it limited the number of characters to use which is why the complaint is so vague. I am unsure if I am suppose to answer this or what the next step is. I feel the fact the other party hired an attorney despite this rule has caused confusion for an otherwise straight forward and simple process involved with a small claims case. What is the appropriate step from here?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

You need to file Motion to Strike the Answer for failure to follow the Rules. That is a simple Motion telling the Court to disregard the defendant's answer for using an Attorney to respond when the Rules prohibit Attorneys involvement in Small Claims cases.