Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

My son is an attorney who is handling a case for my husband

Customer Question

My son is an attorney who is handling a case for my husband and I. A home that we owned got flooded when a county water line broke on a road above the home. The county water company wanted to pay us for damage, but the amount wouldn't cover the needed repairs. My son said he would take the case for us. Now the case is going to have to be put before a county judge and jury. The insurance company has not agreed to compensate adequately. My son has asked us for personal information regarding our finances, education, and jobs from the past 20 years. My husband and I can not understand why this is relevant information, and are not thrilled about handing over all of that information to my son. My husband is not my son's father, and my husband has received money from an inheritence that he does not want my son to know about. Is all of this absolutely necessary for the case?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

My guess is that your son is operating under a court's order for disclosure that is standard for all parties in that court or else the other side has sent "discovery" in your case. In either of those cases then it is required that you answer these promptly or you can be sanctioned by the judge.

This information is pretty standard to request in a lawsuit. In the discovery phase the things you ask for do't have to be relevant they just have to be "calculated to lead to the discovery of relevant facts" which is a very, very low standard.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.