Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I live in Gainesville, TX (Cooke County). I have had a

Customer Question

I live in Gainesville, TX (Cooke County). I have had a judgement filed against me over 7 years ago in North Carolina. It had been on my credit reports for the entire 7 years. I had it removed completely from all 3 Bureaus back in March.
I just received filed copies of "Notice of Filing Foreign Judgement" in both Tarrant County (Where I lived in March) and Cooke County where I reside now.
1. Can this be put back on my credit reports since it's already been on for 7 years and was successfully removed?
2. Can this be levied as a Levin against my property here in Cooke County?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation, Joe.

A judgment report can remain on your credit if it is renewed. Once/if it is renewed, it is as though the judgment is valid again, and if so, then the credit bureaus treat it as a new judgment, meaning it can remain on one's credit report for up to 7.5 years from the date of renewal in a new state.

Yes, I am afraid that the judgment in Texas - once domesticated - may be used to lien titled property as a way to pressure the Defendant into payment.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.