ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

If you tell someone your pastor is a crook. is this consider

Customer Question

if you tell someone your pastor is a crook. is this consider slander?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state you're in?
Customer: connecticut
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i have information about wrong doings by the pastor
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

By itself it's not slander (spoken defamation). Defamation requires a false statement of material fact about a third party that causes quantifiable damages. Opinions are not actionable as defamation. So saying someone is a "crook" simply means that they're a person who is dishonest or a criminal or engages in criminal activities. Now if statements of fact were made (such as that he stole money from the offering plate, etc...) then those statements of fact would be actionable if they were false. Truth is a defense to defamation. A true statement cannot be defamatory (even though it might be damaging to the person). Only false statements of material fact (not opinion) can be defamatory. So saying that he's a crook, without anything else, is not defamation.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

Hello?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time (~1 HOUR) and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★).

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Please note that this question is still open. Do you see where you can rate it on your screen? I'm waiting for you to enter a rating for this answer...