LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

I picked up my friend from a hit and run accident without

Customer Question

i picked up my friend from a hit and run accident without knowing what had happened. I thought it was the right thing to do. Im now scared that i might get in trouble. She basically told me she was scared and ran but she omitted these details when she called for my help. what should I do? I live in texas.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 month ago.

Good evening. Has she been contacted or have you, by the police? Just to be clear, she simply called you and ask you to pick her up?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
we have been contacted. maybe a few hours later she called the police department herself. I live with her and I knew she was going out with her boyfriend to see a band. She left at 11pm but it was getting late. So i called her at 3 am and an officer answered. She said that she needed to get in contact with the police department, but didnt say much else. My friend then called me and said if i could pick her up. I got worried so I of course went to go get her. It took a long time to find her and then she told me she ran away from an accident. I saw her disoriented. She asked me to go home so I complied. She then proceeded to call the police department. She just got a ticket for doing a U turn on a highway. And the police officer said i could get in trouble as well because of the on going investigation.

Thank you for the reply. If you did not know or have any intent in helping her flea/leave the scene, then you should not get charged or be in trouble. Moreover, if you were she should testify on your behalf and advise of the same. She can go on the record and state she called you for a ride home, advised she was in an accident and that is all she told you. It was only after, when she called the police did you find out about this.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!