Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My insurance company, Prudential, denied the accidental

Customer Question

My insurance company, Prudential, denied the accidental death portion of my mother's policy. The say that the option "went away" at 70. Is this legal?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: New York.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The customer liaison just reported said that this is what they told him and that a letter with more details should en route.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They, the insurance company representative, confirmed all requested material was turned in (Claim, Coroner's report, etc.) and that there were no problems with payment of premiums. The accident happened the daughter's home in Nassau County (Westbury).
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
It is legal as long as the life insurance policy has it written into the policy. So in order to know whether or not Prudential can do this, you have to get your policy plan description. You will need to read the accidental death provision because if the policy does say that in there, legally they do not have to pay on the accidental death.