LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I am on probation for wire-fraud. my crime was out of texas.

Customer Question

i am on probation for wire-fraud. my crime was out of texas. i am currently doing probation in south carolina. i was made to sign a form that states i would not open lines of credit. i opened charge cards and financed a vehicle. i was not aware this was lines of credit. my probation officer found out and summoned me to his office. i provided him a letter of common ownership that showed my mom was 100 percent liable for the car i financed it stated This letter is to certify that ms ***** ***** has 100 ownership of the 2015 infiniti. I ***** ***** is solely responsible for this vehicle. the vehicle is registered to my son danny barrett because he is my financial power of attorney. he had a meeting with his supervisors and did not violate me but told me he was going to leave to the texas courts. i contacted him to day about leaving town and he told me I was on probation violation status. my friends tell me not to worry because he did not violate me. what do you think
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 9 months ago.

Just to be clear, your PO in South Carolina was going to contact the State of Texas, about this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
he did violate me yet
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
he did not violate me so do i have anything to worry about
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what do i need to do

So what did he mean when he told you that he was going to leave it up to the Texas courts?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i am not sure he did not violate me in his office after to speaking to his supervisors. he said he would leave it to the texas courts. to decide.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
my bank told me a line of credit is not a credit card or car loan. so i did not think i did anything wrong

Thank you. This is something that would be a technical violation and if he did not violate you, he may have just said that, leaving it up to the State of Texas, to look into and discover. If there was a violation, you would know, as he would have a warrant issued or ask that you turn yourself in. If he is going to leave it up to the court, then he MAY report what happened and wait to see if they are going to do anything and if this "violation" amounts to something that is willful and wanton. Moreover, the violation has to be intentional. If you did not know and were misinformed, then it is very possible the court will not take any action

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
my best friend is telling me that is not how the process works. he has to violate me first and then the charges are brought to the courts

Yes, that is correct. He would need to violate you and then if violated, you would have to answer to the court and address the violation. What I shared with you is what MAY be going on. Just because he allowed you to leave, does not mean he is not going to report this, as he has a legal obligation to do so.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
when i spoke to him today i ask him how long would it take to get a response from the court. he said a couple of week and he will be in touch

Yes, so it would appear that he did report this, to see what they want to do. I do not think that response means he is not going to violate you but going to report it, which he has a duty to do and then let the Texas court decide.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
do you think they will send me back to jail

For something like this, I do not. I say this because it is a technical violation and you have an explanation for it and it was a misunderstanding and you did not try and violate, doing something which you knew was wrong. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
he was upset because i had a new vehicle and had not paid any restitution. the form i submitted proved my mom was liable for it. it was even stamp and notorized, i did mail 200 to cover 2 months. i do not have a job and waiting for disablity. he is fully aware of this

If you start paying the restitution, then it should not be an issue. Unless he can show and prove that you are paying for the car and not your mom, it does not matter if she wanted to get you a vehicle.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i ask him if i should close the charge card. he did not say anything. should i. i am going to pay off all my balances

The issue is only if what happened/what you did, would be considered a violation. If you remedy it and close it or pay it off, it could be a mitigating factor to show you corrected the problem but would not be a legal defense.

Danny, are you still with me?

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!