Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I am writing for my daughter Tracy. She is Bipolar and just

Customer Question

I am writing for my daughter Tracy. She is Bipolar and just doesn't understand what is going on. Her husband is divorcing her and she has a court date on the 26th of this month. I am retired and on a fixed income. In short, we don't have a lot of money. Is there a way to get pro-bono legal assistance for her?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: She is now living with me in Utah, but the divorce has been filed in Houston, TX.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes, it has, I don't have a lot of information on it and have repeatedly asked her husband for the information, but just haven't been given very much. We have a scheduling Order and Notice of intent to Dismiss and a reset date of the 26th. I don't understand the meaning of these papers. There are 10 specifications on the scheduling order information and notice of intent to dismiss. The original date was July so this has been going on for a while.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of. thanks
Expert:  Ray replied 7 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 7 months ago.

Did your daughter file for divorce or husband?Has she been served?It sounds like they are dismissing this because of lack of service or progress, give me more information be happy to respond further,thanks.

Expert:  Ray replied 7 months ago.

In Harris County as you can see in the example below this is a scheduling order she would respond to or case will be dismissed for failure to pursue.If she has relocated here she is better off letting it get dismissed and filing in Utah as he would have to come there to contest anything.So if he filed for divorce, she doesn't have to do anything here it may get dismissed and she can refile in Utah here.

It may look like this.

No - Harris County District Courts

Expert:  Ray replied 7 months ago.

She really ought to track this because if he has served her he can default her and get custody and set support for her to pay.

Expert:  Ray replied 7 months ago.

She may want to file an Answer here to avoid a default here is the form

http://texaslawhelp.org/files/685E99A9-A3EB-6584-CA74-137E0474AE2C/attachments/F3907961-F61D-454E-ACFA-A70C1B20661F/div_w_kids_answer_final.pdf

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more, thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 7 months ago.

If you can positive rate here it is much appreciated.Thanks again.