Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I'm a Singaporean by birth. Completed my national service, 5

Customer Question

Hi I'm a Singaporean by birth. Completed my national service , 5 reservist call ups. Left Singapore without exit permit in 85 . I'm now a naturalized US citizen. Hear there are repercussions on returning to Singapore. The govt can send me to jail . I need to return immediately to see my ailing mother. Please help.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you completed your NS requirement and also are now a US Citizen, then there is no fine or jail sentence for returning to Singapore on your US Passport. If you return nothing will occur, as you completed the requirement and are no longer under the NS cap.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you counselor. i've heard other outcomes base upon similar situations. as i'm still a legal citizen of singapore therefore ii'm still binded by the nationality laws of singapore.
appreciate your assistance. thank you counselor.
Thank you for your reply.
The issue is you did not avoid NS, you said you completed it and it also happened more than 30 years ago.