Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

Aloha from Maui. Thank you in advance for your reply to my

Customer Question

Aloha from Maui. Thank you in advance for your reply to my question.
I filed a Notice of Appeal with the Circuit Court of the Second Circuit, State of Maui on April 4 and again July 12, 2016. Civil No. 16-1-0172 (2) Case No. (###) ###-####&(###) ###-####
The appeal filed by myself for myself vs Jobline Hawaii Inc. & State of Hawaii Department of Labor Industrial Relations denying myself of unemployment compensation for what was a 15-week period.
I understand that in accordance with Section 91-14 (D), Hawaii Revised Statutes, and Rule 72 (D) of the Rules of Civil Procedure, the State of Hawaii had to reply within twenty (20) calendar days of the order the entire record as defined by Section 91-9 (E) Hawaii Revised Statutes.
To date they have not replied and I've called 8-10 times (recorded the dates and to whom I spoke with) to no avail.
So, in closing, my question is what do I do? Continue to be patient? The State has not responded in forty-seven (47) days. Do I have a case against them for non compliance to the statutes and rules of civil procedure. If it were reversed and I hadn't complied the case would have been denied and I'd be told its to late to appeal.
Submitted: 1 month ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that you're having so much trouble.

What Hawaii Rev. Stat., Section 91-14(D) says is that they have 20 days to prepare and file the record after they receive the designation of the record. Rule 72 says that the person filing the appeal shall file a Notice of Designation of the Records within 30 days. Did you do that? If so, when?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Lucy I did file the designation on record on April 4, 2016 & again on July 7, 2016.
I spoke with the Hawaii State Government Ombudsman on Thursday, September 14, 2016 and was told the State of Hawaii Department of Labor & Industrial Relations appeals office will be sending the appeal transcriptions to Maui Judge Peter Cahill early next week so I'm in a holding stage right now. No need to reply further. Thank you. Yes, I had much difficulty and it was a frustrating experience on Wednesday when I tried to get an answer from "just answer". In turn, I'm declining to pay the $53.00 charge to my credit card. I asked for someone to call me and it never happened. Aloha from Maui, T.Risko