Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

I am a 66 year old male resident of NY State with no

Customer Question

I am a 66 year old male resident of NY State with no criminal record. I have been on Ativan for over 10 years originally prescribed by my primary care Doctor as treatment for
insomnia. That Doctor has retired and I went to another Doctor as primary but made him aware that I was an recovering 6 months...This new Doctor increased my Ativan prescription to 2.5 tablets in 24 hours ostensibly to help battle alcoholism...In June of this year my Ativan was stolen while on a fishing trip to state of Mass. I was able to obtain a police report which identified a suspect. My new Doctor refused to replace the Ativan claiming that he was not allowed to but was evasive to my questions of who or what prevented him from doing so. After 3 nights of NO sleep (none) and severe side effects from the abrupt stopping of Ativan I called his office and breaking down from the anxiety I begged him and he relented and gave enough to reach my next scheduled refill. I suffered needlessly for 4 days only to find that he apparently could replace the stolen drugs. I have been unable to find the relevant regulations on my own. I have not contacted a lawyer or filed a complaint yet. I want answers- What should I do ?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** *****

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, generally, because each medical doctor has his/her professional discretion when it come to prescribing any drugs or prescribing replacement drugs, I am afraid that generally there would not be any legal recourse under similar circumstances.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.