Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I left a trailer with a flat along a two lane road in NJ

Customer Question

I left a trailer with a flat along a two lane road in NJ .parked well off the right of way . the NJ statute says a vehicle is not considered abandoned for a period of 48 hours . However when i returned in about 18 hours a township cop had a recovery company on the scene attempting to remove my trailer . his excuse was that it appeared to be unregistered . I showed him the license plate that he had not looked for due ,most likely due to not wanting to get his pants dirty .along with the papers which were in a DOT "bubble ' for his inspection . They forced me to pay the tow company $ 2600 because "We can't stop now " do I have any recourse ?
Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.
Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.
There are laws against predatory towing in NJ, which you can read about here: http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/Statutes/Predatory-Towing-Prevention-Act.pdf
Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.
You can contact the department of consumer affairs for help with combating this: http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/News/Consumer%20Briefs/what-you-should-know-about-getting-towed.pdf
Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.
If you weren't given the statutory time to remove your vehicle, you should have a claim.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The towing co was called by township police to immediately remove an "unregistered vehicle " toe problem lies in the fact that it was duely registered with the plate in the factory mount which the officer didn't locate due to not wanting to wade into tall weeds . the fault lies with the officer . how can i proceed to try to recoup my $
Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

The best way to combat the tow and to recover your money is to seek help from the Department of Consumer Affairs. You can file a complaint with it and seek help to resolve the issue.