Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I have had a plastic piece of a dialysis catheter left in my

Customer Question

I have had a plastic piece of a dialysis catheter left in my chest after surgery at a hospital. The piece led to an infection that caused me to have open heart surgery with aortic valve replacement and mitral valve repair. My current attorney can not get a certificate of merit due to my prolonged kidney failure (dialysis) 17 years. The experts say that they can't prove that there was not damage there before this mishap occurred. I have proof that the piece was left there( hospital records) and proof of the surgery to remove it( records also) Can I at least file for neglect or pain and suffering?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a Licensed attorney for more than 30 years and I handle medical malpractice issues, and have litigated medical malpractice cases successfully.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a personal phone conference during which there is no limitation on the number of questions you can ask of me, as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Have there been any negotiations with the insurance company for the surgeon/hospital?

2. Was the infection you reference at the site of the medical equipment that was left during surgery?

3. What sort of infection did you have the necessitated the open heart surgery?

4. What specific damage was found that was related to kidney damage which also could have been caused by the foreign body?

Thanks in advance,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Waiting for a response from you.