Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My wife has cognitive impairment issues (early stage

Customer Question

Hi:
My wife has cognitive impairment issues (early stage alzheimers). I have a physical disability with mobility problems ( I walk with a cane). However, I have no mental impairment problems. I am taking care of my wife with some degree of success. Her family is trying to make us move to their city as they feel they can do a better job of taking care of her. I don't want to live in their city (Watsonville, CA). Please advise me on what I can do.
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney whowill try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone whocan. There may be a slight delay in myresponses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If your mobility deteriorates, will you be able to hire someone to come in and help with care?

.

Are they talking about filing for a legal guardianship?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I am sorry but I do not participate in the phone call program for the site and limit my interaction with customers only to the website. I like to have time to think about a customer’s question and research it so I can provide the best answer possible.

.

However, if you wish to have a phone call with an attorney, you can post a request for "additional services" and your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I would be willing to hire someone to help with care.

Ok, then the way to circumvent the family is for you to go ahead and file for a formal legal guardianship for wife through the local probate courts. This is what the family would have to do to be able to take her away and put her in some type of care without your consent.

.

So if you beat them to the punch and get appointed guardian, then they wouldn't have any legal power to do anything without your approval.

.

You would need to contact a local family law or elder law attorney to assist with filing the guardianship action..

.

.

thanks