Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

I filed for divorce in May 2014. My husband was served at

Customer Question

I filed for divorce in May 2014. My husband was served at that time. He then was laid off for 26 months and I am out on disability. So I never followed through. I still want to divorce him but financially it would be difficult. I was advised not to move out and he acts like everything is fine, but I have had enough. I don't want to place any more pressure on either of us money wise. I just want my half, so how much more does it cost to use a mediator?
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: Ok thank you. There should not be much to argue about as our children are grown and al we own is the house we live in and there are no other assets.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New York
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Such as? I filed in May 2014 and he was served. He did nothing and neither did I.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am assuming the filing is still good?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

Your first step is to call the court where you filed to see if it still active or has been dismissed.You could try and negotiate with your husband here and then do a settlement agreement.This would be cheaper than mediation.Mediation has an hourly fee for the mediator.

Alternatively here you serve the husband and go to court and have judge divide it all.To me this might be cheaper for you to get finality in this matter.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you guess I will contact court first so I know if it is still active. Will do that tomorrow and go from there.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

No problem here is step by step

You can still rate and post tomorrow or whenever, be happy to respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

Thanks again.