Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

If people listen to your conversation from an adjoining

Customer Question

If people listen to your conversation from an adjoining hotel room and invite others to the adjoining room to listen is that a violation of privacy laws in Wisconsin
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
It is not a violation of any WI laws or even federal laws for people to overhear conversations through walls I am afraid. When someone is in a public facility, even a hotel room, there is a limited expectation of privacy because the walls may indeed be thin. So it would be up to people having a conversation to keep it low enough not to be heard through walls or to take the conversation elsewhere. As long as electronic listening devices are not placed in the room, if it is simply overheard through the walls there is no law that protects that.