Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
8370490

My boyfriend is being sued. He pled guilty because he is

Customer Question

My boyfriend is being sued. He pled guilty because he is going to file for bankruptcy anyway. He just got a document that I think says he must pay within 30 days of 8/24 but he also has a hearing on 11/3. I am not sure what he is supposed to pay and when he should start filing cause he can't pay this and needs to include it in the bk.
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 2 months ago.

Hello Hannah,

When someone files for bankruptcy, it automatically stops all other lawsuits or collection efforts by judgment creditors if they have already obtained a court judgment. So it is beneficial for your boyfriend to file for bankruptcy as soon as possible. When he does file for bankruptcy, he would list the creditor in his filing paperwork, and the bankruptcy court will notify the creditor. Or you can have his lawyer call them and give them the bankruptcy case number, and they will be prohibited from continued lawsuits or collection efforts. See Notifying Creditors of Bankruptcy. If he has filed by the time of the hearing on 11/3, I would bring the bankruptcy paperwork with the case number ***** it, and the hearing court will be forced to stop the proceedings.

Thomas