Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I was recently asked to retire from my job of 18 years and

Customer Question

I was recently asked to retire from my job of 18 years and told I would be able to move to a 3 bedroom no rent for one year and the second year only pay $150.00 per month. I managed a 100 unit apartment complex. I have now received a 30 day notice to move. Prior to managing the complex I lived at this complex for 5 years. I am devastated. I TRUSTED THE PEOPLE I WORKED FOR. I think this was what they planned the entire time. I am at the verge of tears all the time. I would just move but the community where I live housing is just not available. When they asked me to retire the Operations Manager and the employers kept repeating "we will not throw you under the bus." I feel like I have been run over and then they backed over me again just to make sure. Do I have any options?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Nebraska
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not at this time. One of the owners said they would not put me out on the street and I asked for that in writing just 3 days ago and if I could not find anything they would help me. Still waiting.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the Operations Manager is occusing me of things not sure what I think she asked the new manager if I was malishous not sure of the spelling. Any one would tell you I am not.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Do you have a written lease or some other written legal document which entitles you to the rental of the unit at set rent amount?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have but it was not signed when they gave me notice to move

Thank you for your follow up.

So the lease was not signed by the landlord or management company?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No not signed
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The point is a verbal agreement honored

Thank you for your follow up.

While I cannot comment on your specific situation, unfortunately, generally, any verbal promises / agreements related to residential rentals for longer than 1 year, would not be legally valid or legally enforceable, so unless there is some type of written lease agreement signed by the landlord or landlord's agent, I am afraid there would not be any type of legal recourse under similar circumstances and the tenant / former employee would have to try to negotiate some type of a written lease agreement or move out upon the expiration of the 30 day notice.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can becompensated for my work.

Thank you.

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 month ago.