Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My boyfriend and I have a mortgage together 50/50, I want to

Customer Question

My boyfriend and I have a mortgage together 50/50, I want to leave him and sell the house, how can I make him sell the house?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New Jersey
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney whowill try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok great . thank you

In order to force a sale, you would have to file a legal lawsuit called a "partition action" in your local court and the judge would then issue an order for the house to be sold, either at a public auction immediately or through a realtor and then public auction later if the realtor can't sell it.

.

This is an absolute right that can not be denied, so it isn't a question of whether it will work, but just how soon you get the order from the judge.

.

But if you aren't familiar with filing your own legal actions, I would suggest talking to a local real estate or even a divorce attorney to get their help in filing the action.

.

.

thanks