How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33769
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend and I have a mortgage together 50/50, I want to

Customer Question

My boyfriend and I have a mortgage together 50/50, I want to leave him and sell the house, how can I make him sell the house?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New Jersey
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney whowill try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.


Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok great . thank you
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

In order to force a sale, you would have to file a legal lawsuit called a "partition action" in your local court and the judge would then issue an order for the house to be sold, either at a public auction immediately or through a realtor and then public auction later if the realtor can't sell it.


This is an absolute right that can not be denied, so it isn't a question of whether it will work, but just how soon you get the order from the judge.


But if you aren't familiar with filing your own legal actions, I would suggest talking to a local real estate or even a divorce attorney to get their help in filing the action.





Related Legal Questions