Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My husband and I are getting a divorce we have two homes,

Customer Question

My husband and I are getting a divorce we have two homes, one is a rental and currently vacant.. we have a family home where I have my real estate office, and my dog kennel where I have 10 dogs and a full kennel set up.. My husband is out of the house and is living across the street with his brother .. he doesnt want the divorce and doesnt want me to be in our family home.. I have offered to buy him out and he refuses.. he said if we go to court he is going to force me to sell both houses and split the funds... we have been married for 7 years... we don't have children together... he makes over double what I make... both homes are basically similar in value... would a judge allow me to buy him out? so i can stay where my business is... ? its going to be difficult to find a suitable home to build a kennel facility.. etc..
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

would a judge allow me to buy him out? so i can stay where my business is... ?

.

What normally happens in a situation like this is the judge will order the house sold at auction to the highest bidder if the parties can't agree on some other private settlement. And if that occurred, then you could bid along with any other member of the public to purchase the house. Assuming you were the highest bidder, you would just have to pay him for half the final purchase price, either out of other marital assets or by obtaining a loan to buy him out..

.

.

thanks