Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer

My bank Account was garnished for a certain amount. It was

Customer Question

My bank Account was garnished for a certain amount. It was done by New York state taxation department. The monies take are from my VA disability benefit, which is my only income at the moment.
I did not think anything of it at the time, and proceeded to call the NY state department of taxation. I was told the problem was due to a state tax form I did not file which I corrected immediately. I just got off the phone with them after 13 weeks to find out that all the monies will be returned to me that was garnished. This is after they find that I do not owe any other debt anywhere else within the system(child support,tickets, and who knows).
My problem is from my understanding they should not have been able to garnish the money in the first place. Who do I talk to or get papers to stop this? I do not want my bank account to be a free for all for collection departments for reasons that it should not be able to get to it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review, analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

There is not way to stop it ahead of time. Rather, when a creditor attempts to garnish your account, you should receive a notice like THIS ONE at which type you file a form claiming the exemption.

Please Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The answer was simple and direct to the point.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

Thank you.