CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I and my wife owned a home that is paid for. It was my money

Customer Question

I and my wife owned a home that is paid for. It was my money that paid for it but the house is in her name because of credit issues. We are not in good terms but haven't contemplate divorce yet. I am on my way to california for some time and I am afraid she might sell the house and keep the money. How can I protect myself on this case?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Dear Customer,

Unfortunately, if the property is in her name and you are not also on title, there is nothing you can do to force her to retain the property or to require her to repay you for the money you invested in the property.

(Unfortunately, title is very important, and the way that title is held is critical to ownership).

Titling the property in her name may have allowed you to avoid whatever credit issues you were facing at the time, but the repercussions of this mean that she now is the title owner of record for the home.

I am very sorry.