Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
92304199

My student loan went into litigation 10 years ago and I've

Customer Question

Hello
My student loan went into litigation 10 years ago and I've been paying on time. I've been in the military for 11 years now and the law firm is now asking me for a copy of my military orders fo proof that I'm in the military. I asked them what did they need it for and was told it was to help me but every time but how? I ask them if I can pay a lump sum to settle they tell me no. Is there something fishy going on with them?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Also I would like to know if I could make a settlement with them? Will they try to contact my unit or garnsh my wages eventhough I've been paying on time?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 2 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I'll be happy to help you. I see that you requested a phone call, and I'll be happy to do that as well.
Since this went to litigation, it sounds to me as if at some point it wasn't paid on time. You are under no obligation to provide them with a copy of your military orders. And with respect to a lump sum, it is perfectly acceptable for you to offer that to them, though they are under no obligation to Excel it is perfectly acceptable for you to offer that to them, though they are under no obligation to accept.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was in bootcamp when it went into litigation and I tried to explain that to them.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Why did they ask for a copy of my orders? Are they trying to make me pay more?

My apologies, the last sentence should have read they are not no one under no obligation to accept

It doesn't sound as though they are trying to make you pay more though.

they are effectively serving in the capacity of collections agency. It's just that they are a law firm too

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Oh ok..can I get my case out of litigations since I had no idea that it was going to litigation. I was in bootcamp for 6 months
You can. Whoever you owe the money to, you can contact them and offer to pay them in full directly. Generally they accept. The reason why I say in full is it increases the likelihood is that they will take payment. Otherwise they often say they can't do anything about it because it has gone to collections.

Hello. I wanted to check back in with you to make sure you have all of the information you needed. If you have any addtl questions please let me know.