Stacy Adkins
Stacy Adkins, Lawyer
Experience:  Law Clerk for 7 years

My nephew was injured at a football game we took him to the

Customer Question

My nephew was injured at a football game we took him to the doctor the doctor informed the athletic trainer what the injury was and then she went to the coach and players and told him that it was nothing except for tendinitis which is actually false he had a pulled muscle. Was this a HIPAA violation?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Stacy Adkins replied 1 month ago.

Based on this fact set, I'd say yes, this was a HIPAA violation, unless one of the parents consented to sharing this information with the coach and athletic director. It's also possible that as part of allowing their son to play football, they signed a release or consent that would allow that information to be shared. If they did not, they can file a complaint with the health care facility/doctor in this situation or directly with the US Department of Health and Human Services.

I hope this answers your question. Please leave a positive rating if you've found my information helpful. Thank you!