LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.

I had a yearly routine check up and my doctor ordered a

Customer Question

I had a yearly routine check up and my doctor ordered a blood test for Hepatitis C without my permission. Can she legally order this test, not what doctors usually order as part of a physical???
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon Patricia,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Please don't confuse excellent service with a satisfactory outcome based on your wants and desires. I can only explain the law to you---not guarantee that you will be happy with the outcome---any more than a cancer surgeon can guarantee a cure.

Unfortunately, when your physician sets up a blood draw for a physical exam, they may legally have tests done that they believe are relevant to your care, and it is not illegal for your physician to test you for Hep C without first getting your permission. While this test may not be a typical test for a routine physical, your physician obviously determined a need to test you and you should speak with the physician about what prompted that need. But the fact that your permission was not sought for this particular test did not make the testing unlawful. I am sorry

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,