Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
92304199

I am caught in a bind I don't fully understand. I am a

Customer Question

Good afternoon. I am caught in a bind I don't fully understand. I am a doctor, an MD with a valid license to practice medicine in Florida. I moved my family down from NY. I still work in NY, and ct. I fly back and forth every week, to be with my wife and kids. Thru a friend of my wife I met someone who owned a space, where he manufactured spa laser equipment. He wanted to open a spa to use is equipment. I thought it would be a good idea to offer my services, as a doctor....So I entered into a contract with him...like a fool, I did not hire a lawyer to review it. I admit I thought he was a decent fellow, so like the fool I am I trusted him.....so the spa was opened in a space that he already had been paying rent on. As part of the agreement he offered me share in the new company...the spa started operations about 5/6 months ago. (I might be wrong on the time frame....) Anyway I told him by text my desire to leave...I asked to leave, because I was making much money, and I didn't like the way he ran the spa...I remained quiet about it...he was always angry, giving my wife, when she was there a hard time each time she was there, and even his own wife he insulted in front of others. He now is threatened to sue me for breach of contract. Do I have to abide by a contract when I am that uncomfortable there? Besides now I don't trust him. We had a blow out today, when he stated that he would sue me....I don't have anything in terms of money or assets presently. I went thru a major financial meltdown and live month to month. My house in NY is going into foreclosure, and I owe all kinds of money as it is...
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can. My goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied before you submit your rating so please let me know if you have additional questions or you need me to clarify anything. If there is a delay in the time it takes me to respond it is because I am working with a customer or I am not online - but rest assured I will respond to your follow up question, if you have one. Also, I am on a mobile unit, which automatically asks you to submit a rating once I submit a response – but please don't feel like you need to do so until we are done speaking. I'm so sorry you're in this situation. The best thing to do would be to look at your contract and see exactly what it states about termination, then weigh whether the ramification of breaking it are worth it to you. We're largely speaking in hypotheticals here since neither you nor I know what the contract states.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't have a copy of the contract. He refused to give it to me. I can send you a written summary of the case, and the threatening derogatory emails he sent me. On top of that he has uncertified staff administering the spa laser(s) on clients...let me know if I should it to you or not.

A written summary wouldn't be helpful. You'll need the full text of the contract to know what you're rights are. That being said, if you are not being given the contract (and you were never given the contract) you've got a certain amount of wiggle room to try to argue that you don't *know* what your rights are and simply walk away. It's tricky but at the moment it's an option to consider. In addition, I think if you threaten to expose anything he's doing improperly (uncertified staff, etc.) you might find that he's more amenable to releasing you from your contract. Please let me know if you have any questions or you need me to clarify anything. I would be happy to do so. If you could also take a moment to leave positive feedback I would appreciate it. If you ever need additional assistance, you can always reach out to me directly by putting FOR OLIVIA in the first line of your question and Just Answer will route it to me :)