Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I have a contract with a builder for an addition (2nd floor)

Customer Question

I have a contract with a builder for an addition (2nd floor) to my house. Yesterday he took his permit off of our window and walked away from the project. The project is less than half done and he allowed rain to destroy the existing part of the house. Our home owner's insurance is working out damages and funding for restoration, which should be done soon. I believe that the builder planned on that money to keep him financially solvent, and when we asked him to stop all work not related to the original contract, he was upset, didn't show up since last Friday, and had young guys doing some siding work, etc. There is much more involved in this ordeal, but I don't know what steps to take now. The township had to contact another township that had a similar situation because they have never seen this happen before. I need help.
Thank you,
Mark M. Mills ***@******.*** (###) ###-####
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon Mark,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.\

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a personal phone conference during which there is no limitation on the number of questions you can ask of me, as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What existing part of the home was damaged by water?

2. What money are you referring to that the builder was counting on to keep him solvent?

3. Why was the builder working on something that he was not contracted to do? Did you have a side agreement?

4. You say much more is involved. What is that? It is difficult to give a useful answer if I don't know what the relevant facts are.

5. Why is it that the township is involved?

Thanks in advance,