Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Myself and a co-writer signed a contract with a publishing

Customer Question

Hello, myself and a co-writer signed a contract with a publishing company based in England called Austin Macauley Publishers, LTD. We have reasons to suspect that the contract is not valid thus not legally binding. It is signed by a person ON BEHALF of Austin Macauley Publishers when the full name of the company is Austin Macauley Publishers, LTD. The signature is furthermore not authorized and there is no full printed name of the signatory. Could you please confirm that such circumstances automatically deem the contract as not legally binding?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am located in Canada, the co-author is in the United States and the publishing company is in England. The contract arrived from England.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If the contract is not legally binding based on the information provided above, how do we proceed with the publishing house from now on? Are we automatically being released from the contract since it is not legally binding or is there a special legal protocol we need to follow to be released? Thank you!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are we in a position to sue Austin Macauley given the circumstances?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry, please disregard the request to call, please post response in writing instead.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We would attach the contract shortly. Thank you.
Expert:  retireddebra replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry that you are in this difficult situation.

How do you know that the signature is not authorized?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. There is no printed name associated with the signature and we cannot find any official data that shows that the signatory is an employee of the company. There is no stamp or p.p to indicate authorization.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Excuse me, may I please ask if you are located in the U.S.? We would like to speak to a U.S. lawyer as the main author is located in the U.S.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello, we are sorry, but we are not in a position to scan the contract at the moment and we really wanted to show it to you. If you don't mind, we would like to cancel this session and return when we are better prepared. Please let us know what steps we need to take to make sure the credit card on file would not be charged for the session. Thank you and we apologize for the inconvenience!

I will ask the site to move this to the US law list.

Take good care and enjoy your weekend.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Please cancel this ticket altogether for us if you could or please if you could advise us on how to do it ourselves. We assume there would be no charge. We need to scan the contract first and we haven't been successful with that. So, we would contact Just Answer back when we have the scanned document as we would like to show it to the lawyers. Thank you.