Stacy Adkins
Stacy Adkins, Lawyer
Experience:  Law Clerk for 7 years

It's been over a year and local federal officer has not done

Customer Question

It's been over a year and local federal officer has not done anything about my stolen ATV. I found it myself. I brought an officer with me to retrieve from the persons yard. I called Aberdeen area office because they oversee our jurisdiction. The original officer got a call.from person in Aberdeen followed up with it by contacting me and asking questions. Officer then goes to accused party and informs them that she got a call from Aberdeen area office because i called them and also that I was pressing charges on them for having my ATV in their yard. They (accused) are threatening charges on me. Is this illegal for officer to disclose info to accused party and also what my next step?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Stacy Adkins replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. I'm Stacy. It's not illegal for the police to disclose why they were there at the property. There's no privacy right in police reports. It's all public information, so the fact that they told the thieves of the investigation or why they were at the property isn't a violation. However, I don't think you have nothing to worry about from the thieves. What possible charges are they threatening upon you? Based on this fact situation, they would have no legal basis for requesting charges to be filed against you. They stole your property, you used police to assist you in recovering that property. Are there additional facts that I'm missing here?

You could also consider filing a civil suit for the theft if you incurred any damages being without your ATV for over one year. This page explains the different between criminal and civil theft.

I hope this answers your question. Please leave a positive rating if you've been satisfied with my information. It's the only way I can get credited for assisting you. You can still ask followup questions after providing a rating. Thank you!

Did you need any further information or clarification? If not, please take a moment to rate my answer. I am an independent contractor and this is the only way I get paid for assisting you. Just Answer does not compensate us without a rating. Thank you so much!