Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I received a letter in the mail from a law firm for an old

Customer Question

I received a letter in the mail from a law firm for an old debt - probably 5 years old for $1200- and it states;
"I am enclosing and serving upon you Notice of Appearance aglog with proof of service relative to the above matter."
There is also a State f MN County of Anoka with a plaintiff and me as the defendant listed
It shows their file number and on the right hand side of the document it lists their file number (from the law firm) and under that Certificate of Service and under that File No:___ bit no court number. I haven't received anything from the court. How do I respond to this and what does it mean? I have already disputed the debt with them months ago.
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

Have you called the local courthouse to see if there is actually a case filed? Debt collectors tend to just send things that look like legal paperwork, but really isn't, just to try and scare people into paying..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, I haven't but there is no court file number on the document.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I settled this debt 5 years ago when both my husband I were out of work. However I cant find that paperwork. I may have tossed it after a few years.

Ok, then this is just probably their typical way to try and scare you into thinking a court case has been filed so you call and pay them. The reality of it is that for a $1200 debt, it isn't worth paying an actual attorney $1500 up front to go after a $1200 debt... it just isn't cost effective. And the debtor could always file bankruptcy and then the debt collector has lost all the way around.

.

They probably bought the alleged debt for $50 or so and are just trying to "shake the tree" to see if they can get any money to fall out.

.

If this were me, I would call down to the local courthouse and ask the clerk if any civil case in my name as a defendant had been filed. If not, I would just trash the letter and ignore it as they are being deceptive to try to enforce a debt you have already settled.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What is a Notice of Appearance?

A simple bluff that means nothing legally but is intended to scare you into contacting them to pay them...