Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

New Jersey and Florida placed my name on a *driver violator

Customer Question

New Jersey and Florida placed my name on a *driver violator list* by using my common name without verifying social security or other related identification. This blocked my ability to renew my licence, and resulted in a $60,000 job placement loss. This sort of thing has happened before, and I have had enough. I notified the Attorney Generals in both states, and want compensation for this recurring nonsense!!
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In order for a state agency to be sued and overcome qualified immunity, you have to show gross negligence. Gross negligence is them failing to check the social security number and drivers license number and other identifying information before putting someone on the interstate violator system.
You would have to file suit in each state separately and sue for damages each state caused you by their grossly negligent conduct. If the state attorney general does not respond, then I am afraid your next step is to file suit against them in their state court and seek damages including your attorneys fees spent in trying to clear up their errors.