Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

If a resident who rents a room, steals or takes personal

Customer Question

If a resident who rents a room, steals or takes personal property off-site and "pawns" the item, is that a felony? Under what cases could the pawn shop not file charges?
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge? You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: Georgia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Stolen item reported, most likely to appear at a pawn shop
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is it an additional crime, for the perpetrator to threaten the victim with a separate lawsuit, if the crime is filed and charged?
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

If the personal belongings were worth $500.00 or less, the crime is a misdemeanor in Georgia, under § 16-8-12.

If the personal belongings were worth more than $500.00, then this would be a felony under § 17-10-5.

It is not an additional crime for the perpetrator to threaten the victim with a civil lawsuit. However, it is a crime to threaten the victim with violence for filing the complaint.

Normally, either the pawn shop or the owner would file the complaint. Pawn shops normally file a complaint if they receive stolen goods because they are out of money when that happens since the stolen items have to be returned. But really, it does not matter who files it - owner or pawn shop - the police would investigate.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.