LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

My car was hit by a driver from out of state who does not

Customer Question

My car was hit by a driver from out of state who does not have insurance and let the scene without identifying herself: what options do I have ?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon. The first thing a party wants to do is go to the police and file a report. If you have her name and insurance number, the police can contact her and charge her with leaving the scene of an accident. Then, if she is charged criminally, the State will represent your legal interest as the victim and obtain restitution on your behalf, as part of her sentence. If she does not have insurance, she will have to pay out of pocket, to make you whole. The only other option would be to file a civil lawsuit against her but that takes time, effort and money and it would be easier if the State will prosecute her and recover for you

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.