Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My sister-in-law was in charge of selling my

Customer Question

My sister-in-law was in charge of selling my brother-in-law's land, trailer and his things in the trailer. My husband paid for his funeral and he wanted his money back for the funeral which was suppose to come out of the selling of his estate. This should had been paid first. She chose to let family members divided his belongings among themselves and she gave some of the family members some of the money without taking care of the funeral first. Can she be taken to small claims court for us to retrieve the rest of our money? We were never informed as to how much money she got for the selling of his things.
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the mobile home?
Customer: This is in the state of Georgia. I'm not sure of how old the trailer is. I do know that it was old, but some work had been done on it.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet. We are not sure how to proceed with the filing.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The funeral was 4,009.00. She gave us a check, which has not been cashed for 800.00.
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about your loss and this situation. Please tell me:

1) Did your brother in law have a WILL? Or, not?

2) If he DID have a WILL, then did the Will mention the funeral at all?

3) Was formal probate filed for his estate, or not?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.