Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

My husband and I put in an application for a Townhome. We

Customer Question

My husband and I put in an application for a Townhome. We have bad credit but more than the required income. We were honest with the agent from the beginning and provided the app with all supporting documents, including check stubs. The agent has not met us face to face, we have only talked via text and phone conversations. After submitting the application, she asked for our LinkedIn accounts. After I sent the links to her, I have not heard a response. I found out that she has reposted the rental ad twice and raised the price of the unit. I have been calling her and she has not responded. Could this be discrimination?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please clarify:

1) Was this YOUR agent, or the agent for the LANDLORD?

2) Do you feel you were discriminated on based on race, religion, creed, gender, etc? How specifically do you believe that this was discriminatory?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1. The agent for the Landlord I presume. We have not met the owner or agent face to face, but have been dealing with who we presume to be the agent, through online research. We viewed the unit while the current residents were still there and have been communicating with the agent via text and phone.2. I do feel that we were discriminated against based on race because the agent asked us for a social media account. We provided our Linked In accounts. I don't believe she was trying to verify employment because she could have done that with check stubs or calling our employer.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.
Thank you.
Then if so, this can be discrimination.
The federal Fair Housing Act of 1968 and the federal Fair Housing Act Amendments Act of 1988 prohibit discrimination on the basis of race.
California has similar state law which disallows discrimination due to race. See:
IF someone in your situation feels that this was discrimination, you can file a complaint with HUD (federal) here:
(Website currently down)
AND the state here:
The investigation can confirm discrimination and if so, may give rise to a lawsuit.
NOTE that one may wish to gather more facts prior to deciding that this was indeed discrimination. You do not know the race of the landlord, and you said yourself that you have bad credit.
Good luck.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.