Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

Because of my lawyer's late notification for a court

Customer Question

Because of my lawyer's late notification for a court appearance I failed to make the date/time in Accomack, VA and the judge issued a bench warrant for my arrest for failure to appear on a "show cause" hearing for division of marital property (civil case) with no bond and the next hearing is on the 13th of October.
I live in Maryland and don't go to VA much of anything at all. Should I be concerned that local MD police would come to arrest me for this warrant while I am waiting for the court hearing?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to helping you today.

No, you don't have much to worry about in Maryland. Judges rarely try to enforce bench warrants out of state and, in fact, there's a lot of arguments that they can't do so and can't extradite someone to another state due to a civil warrant.

If you get stopped for speeding, or arrested for another crime then it could be an issue if the judge entered you into the warrant database, other than that you really don't have anything to worry about.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.