Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

I am contemplating a lawsuit against a service provider for

Customer Question

I am contemplating a lawsuit against a service provider for personal damages to me. I am also contemplating a lawsuit against the same provider for the same circumstances for my deceased father in the name of his estate.
1. Should the two suits be combined?
2. If so, how would they be combined...what is the process to do so?
3. Any other considerations I need to know about?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

These would be separate suits here.The first would be you individually against the provider.The second would be by executor/administrator of the estate against the provider.Proceeds from this suit go into an estate account and pass to the legal heirs under will or if no will the laws of intestacy here.

For both suits you will need to calculate the damages and prove them up by testimony or other evidence to support.You can sue here in small claims yourself up to the limits of $7k.The filing fee for claims of $2001 to $5000 is $100. The filing fee for claims of $5001 to $7000 is $150

Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

More self help

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Good luck with the suits.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

If you need to sue for more you would need to draft a complaint for higher court.

This is likely breach of contract suit wherever you file it if the provider failed to deliver what you paid for.