Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My Granddaughter attends Western New England College in

Customer Question

My Granddaughter attends Western New England College in Massachusetts.
the school administration has a preferred insurance plane that bills the student, over
2,000.00. I have presented my Kaiser plane which off emergency and urgent care
any time. This is duplication of benefits the college is forcing me to purchase an independent company Blue Cross and Blue Shield under the name Gallagher. Will you right me a letter requesting to over ride the insurance and use my Kaiser plan or perhaps you have another plan of action. My granddaughter is being denied services such as the purchase of books Electra. by the financial aid office.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that state law forbids us from representing anyone from this site, so we cannot write any letters.
What we can tell you is under the MA regulations 956 CMR 8.03, (1) Students. Every Student enrolled in a certificate, diploma or degree-granting program of higher education must participate in his or her School’s Student Health Insurance Program or in a Health Benefit Plan with comparable coverage as defined in 956 CMR 8.05(2).
So you need to send your own letter to the school and attach a copy of your plan description from Kaiser showing that your plan meets or exceeds the student health plan offered and inform them that in accordance with the MA regulations since she participates in a plan with "comparable coverage" you have a right to decline and if they refuse to remove the charge you will file a complaint with the MA Department of Higher Education (http://www.mass.edu/forstufam/complaints/complaints.asp) and also a complaint with the MA Commissioner of Insurance (http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/docs/doi/consumer/css-complaint-form.pdf) for not complying with the MA regulations.