Taylor
Taylor, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
87350578

I am a legal videographer and need clarification on the rule

Customer Question

I am a legal videographer and need clarification on the rule governing copies of a deposition in a USDC court..more specifically the Southern Dist of NY. Do all attorneys automatically get a copy (like Superior Court of NJ rules) or do I need to ask all other attending attorneys if they want a copy and then bill them separately?
Expert:  Stacy Adkins replied 4 months ago.

Hi Brian, I'm Stacy. Please give me a moment to review your question.

Expert:  Taylor replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

Expert:  Taylor replied 4 months ago.

Under Rule 30(b)(3)(A), a party may choose to record the deposition by various methods, including sound, soundand-visual, or stenographically. Fed. R. Civ. P. 30(b) (3). The chosen method must be identified in the notice of the deposition and the deposing party shall bear the expense of the recording. Any other party, at its own expense and after giving notice to the deponent and other parties, may designate another method of recording in addition to the method identified in the notice of deposition. Fed. R. Civ. P. 30(b)(3)(B).

Expert:  Taylor replied 4 months ago.

The person who is deposing the witness shall bear the expense of the recording and all parties should receive copies. They are not separately billed. Does that adequately answer your question?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It does, I just want to be clear that that is the rule for ALL United States District Court cases. As I understand your answer, I do not need to ask the other attending attorneys if they want copies...by rule, they are supposed to get a copy that is paid for by the attorney that hired me. Is that correct?
Expert:  Taylor replied 4 months ago.

that is correct, but you may want to still ask them because they may not care if they have a videotaped copy or a typed transcript. but according to the rule i stated above, they are all entiteld to the chosen method by the deposing party.

Expert:  Taylor replied 4 months ago.

let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. when you are satisfied, i would greatly appreciate a positive rating!

Expert:  Taylor replied 4 months ago.

when you are happy and no longer have questions i would greatly appreciate a positive rating! let me know if there is anything further i can assist you with!