Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

During an Uber trip recently, the driver made false

Customer Question

During an Uber trip recently, the driver made false speculations about me, missed my destination due to the verbal harassment he was giving unwarranted, and refused to let me out of his vehicle until he completed his one-sided lecture and debate to which I tried to avoid delving into. The ordeal made me feel uncomfortable as a human being that someone would go to such a degree to single me out having no knowledge of me or anything about me. I felt imprisoned in his vehicle due to the nature of the service and the conversation was to a degree that I couldn't reclaim myself, my demeanor, and my temperament when I got to the business I was visiting. He forced me to admit he was better than me as a person before leaving unlocking the doors to his vehicle. He refused to let me out of his vehicle unless he received verbal recognition that he got under my skin because I "was the 1 percent and like Donald Trump who is a man who has big balls." I verbally told him I was going through emotional matters and didn't want to talk. This man made me demean myself and due to fear of being thrown in jail, I didn't want to smash his window so I could exit his vehicle. He attacked me to a point where I am no longer able to have an imagination beyond national politics. I felt extremely uncomfortable. He took notes on me before I entered the vehicle which I saw after I got in and before he started driving. He thought I didn't see what he wrote down, however I did. My mind was in a fragile place when I entered his vehicle and I stated I did not want to talk. He also made a point to premeditatively attack how I would respond to what he was saying and he tried to put on radio stations which pushed my buttons during the beginning of the ride. I am completely thrown off and haven't been able to focus on my affairs as a result. I have never experienced this kind of behavior with Uber. I have trauma as a result of this experience. Do I have a case for harassment and imprisonment?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

You have a case for false imprisonment since he kept you in the car longer than you needed or wanted to stay. You should file complaint with your local Police Station.

As for harassment, since this is a one-time incident, you would not be able to make a case for harassment, which requires a pattern of offensive behavior. One incident does not equal a pattern, regrettably.

Best wishes,