P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
11181181

I met this very charming guy that states he was a single

Customer Question

I met this very charming guy that states he was a single father looking for someone to marry, which I've been dating for almost 6 months. Recently he's been acting really strange and his stories have not been adding up. He just doesn't seem like himself. So me being me I start digging for info and discover that he's married to he mother of his children. I asked him several times if he is married and he told me NO. I am so sick right now. I can't eat or sleep. I just can't believe it
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: TX
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No but he txted me today and stated he was going to file a restraining order on me because I befriended her on FB so he told me to leave his family alone. I'm fine with that'. If he would have been honest from the start i would have never gotten involved with him
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm just emotionally distressed. And to top it off I may be pregnant
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Could I sue this man for emotional distress? He's threaten to call the cops of me and put a restraining order on me like I've done something to him. He's upset because I befriended the wife he claimed he didn't have on FB so nows he's furious and making me out to be the bad guy

Thank you
You are not going to be able to sue and win...what you are describing, this person is clearly a liar. But the law will not allow you to sue based simply on this lie, even if you suffered mentally over this.

You could hire a lawyer and sue...but at the end of the day it would be a waste of time and money on your part since you would not be able to recover based on what you are describing.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can sue and win over this, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He basically came into me and my children's lives and deceived us. He told my 9 year old son he was coming to get him to spend a little one on one time with him Friday and never showed, called or nothing. That really broke my heart to see the look on my son's face

I understand..and wish that I could tell you that you can sue. But the law will not permit you to sue over this

Again, I am sorry to have to bear bad news.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well what can I do if he calls himself calling the cops on me? He told me I'm slandering his name because I called him Heartless. I just want it to be over and done with. Tired of stressing myself out about whether he's telling me the truth or not

You calling him heartless is not slander. And the cops are not going to arrest you for that (since it is not a crime)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I committed no crime whatsoever.

Then I would ignore this person and move on...if you did not commit a crime the cops are not going to arrest you.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Please rate the answer so I may receive credit
Thanks for your understanding
Phil