AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years law practice experience
93913325

I live in Indiana. Our final divorce decree stipulates that

Customer Question

I live in Indiana. Our final divorce decree stipulates that my ex pay half of the educational expenses for our son. My son is now in college, first year. My son will be 19 the end of this month. My ex now has filed to emancipate our son so that he does not have to pay for half of his educational expenses. Is this legal? and if not, what recourse do I have?
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 3 months ago.

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

Just a few moments as I obtain your answer.

If your decree requires the payment of post secondary education, and your son cannot afford to pay his tuition, books, housing, etc on his own, you should intervene in the action, and oppose the emancipation on the grounds that your ex can afford to pay these things, your son can't afford it, and that it's not in your child's best interests.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

******** ************

Let me know if you have any additional questions?